Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Singing While You Pslog

Singing is natural to the human spirit, and singing is an essential expression of the Church's faith.

The United Methodist Hymnal begins with "Directions for Singing," taken from John Wesley's Selected Hymns, 1761.

Among the directions are these:

  • "Let not a slight degree of weakness or weariness hinder you;"
  • "Sing lustily;"
  • "Be no more afraid of your voice now, nor more ashamed of its being heard;"
  • "Sing modestly;"
  • "Do not bawl."
In Psalm 57:7, the psalmist proclaims, "I will sing and make music."

I certainly don't carry the most audibly pleasing bucket of tunes, but I played in the band and my spirit is stirred by music.

I was curious, though, to find a United Methodist hymnal on the toilet tank in the men's room at my office yesterday.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger DogBlogger said...

Gives a whole new meaning to "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!"

(That kind of noise usually doesn't require a hymnal, though, does it?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home