Friday, May 26, 2006

Introducing "The Pslog"

So what's a pslog?

It's my venture into the world of blogging. It's part psalm and part blog. Psalm...blog...pslog. Get it?

I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while now. Lots of excuses as to why I haven't. What do I call it? What do I write about? Don't have the discipline. Don't have enough to say to sustain it. Nothing unique to say that will distinguish my blog from the voices already drowning each other out in the blogosphere. Lack of confidence in what I have to say. Other things to do. Afraid to put myself out there. Who cares anyway?

Look up "slog" online and you get several definitions -

  1. "to walk slowly with great effort;"
  2. "to work at something for a long time with little progress;"
  3. "to make your way through something with great difficulty."
I've been reading some of the Psalms lately. Few people have probably felt the earth shake, but this is significant for me in several respects. Not the least of which is my general lack of discipline when it comes to reading. As I think about it, that may be why I majored in Accounting - it was the degree plan with the least amount of reading.

The Psalms are rich texts of scripture which give expression to a vast array of human experience. Let's admit it, life can feel like a slog. Sometimes it takes great effort. Sometimes I work at something for a long time and make dreadfully little progress. Sometimes there's no way around something and the only course is one of great difficulty.

Maybe this is one message of the Psalms. Life can be difficult. It usually is. Keep working at it. Make the effort. Along the way and in the end, God is faithful to those who walk with Him.

Psalm 56:13 says,
You have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.

The idea for my pslog is this. Each post will contain a verse or two from the Psalms and some reflections of one who seeks to walk with God as he slogs through life. Life as a son, a husband, a father, a pastor, a neighbor, a sinner, a child of God.

Come on. Let's go for a stroll. Let's pslog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home